One thing we love about our community is its location to water. Cleveland’s lakes and rivers rank among its greatest natural resources, a fact we don’t take for granted in The Land. In fact, all summer long Cleveland athletes are picking up oars to run their shell down the Cuyahoga River to enjoy our waterways.
Rowing, also known as “crew” in the United States, is a sport that involves racing a shell, or boat, down a designed stretch of water using oars. The first boat to cross the finish line is declared the winner.
Dating back to Ancient Egyptian times, modern rowing began around the 17th century when regattas, or races, were held in the River Thames in the United Kingdom.
To walk it forward in time, rowing has become not only a world-renowned sport, but a Cleveland favorite.
There will also be a parasport/adaptive option for rowing.
- Men’s: 27+, 36+, 43+, 50+, 55+, 60+, 65+, 70+, 75+, 80+
- Women’s: 27+, 36+, 43+, 50+, 55+, 60+, 65+, 70+, 75+, 80+
- Mixed: 27+, 36+, 43+, 50+
- Para-Sport: 27+
Age for doubles, quads and eights determined by averaging age of crew, not including coxswains.
- 1500m time trial on the Cuyahoga River
Sculling Boats (two oars per person)
Single Scull (1x)
- Men’s Single, M1x (A-K)
- Women’s Single, W1x (A-K)
- Open Single, O1x (A-K)
- PR1 Single, PR1 1x
- PR2 Single, PR2 1x
Double Sculls (2x)
- Men’s Double, M2x (A-K)
- Women’s Double, W2x (A-K)
- Mixed Double, Mix2x (A-K)
- PR2 Mixed Double, PR2 Mix 2x
- PR3 Mixed Double,
- PR3 Mix 2x
- Inclusion Double 2x, (includes one para and one non-para athlete)
Quadruple Sculls (4x)
- Men’s Quadruple Sculls, M4x (A-K)
- Women’s Quadruple Sculls, W4x (A-K)
- Mixed Quadruple Sculls, Mix4x (A-K)
Sweep Boats (One oar per person)
Coxed Four (4+)
- Men’s Coxed Four, M4+ (A-K)
- Women’s Coxed Four, W4+ (A-K)
- Mixed Coxed Four, Mix4+ (A-K)
- PR3 Mixed Four, PR3Mix4+
- Inclusion Four, 4+ (includes two para and two non-para athletes, not including the coxswain)
- Men’s Eight, M8+ (A-K)
- Women’s Eight, W8+ (A-K)
- Mixed Eight, Mix8+ (A-K)
The Cleveland Rowing Foundation promotes the athlete, health, educational and social benefits of rowing throughout our Cleveland community.
Cuyahoga River – Cleveland Rowing Foundation
The Cleveland Rowing Foundation is located in The Flats and will host the rowing competition for the Games.
The Flats is a neighborhood running along the banks of the Cuyahoga River, a waterway located in Northeast Ohio, that feeds into Lake Erie. This body of water provides opportunities for fun, adventure and water sports and rowing is a great way to experience the beauty of one of Cleveland’s most enduring resources.
Exact course and course map will be provided once confirmed.